Best of: January '16

Taken last June! Can't wait to be back in Cali. 

Hi, February. Sayonara, January!

The first month of 2016 was quite - bleh for me. My sister went back to the US, my grandparents went back home and I'm just, here. Nothing bad happened or anything, but there were multiple days of the month where I wasn't happy with myself. I slept later than I usually do, overthinking about stuff that's gonna happen at the end of the year. Worrying doesn't solve anything, but it's just inevitable, really. Sobfest aside, here's what I've been loving this month! Hope you had a much better January than I did. Here's to February, the month of...love and angpaos! :P

Btw, I'm super excited for Chinese New Year! One week to go!

TV Shows:

Jane the Virgin: I started watching this on December and was hooked with the story from then on. I watched the Pilot last year when I was on the plane heading to London. Was hesitant to watch it because well, there's a love triangle, and I just can't bear the angst that I know would happen when I go and watch it. Angst aside, I binged the hell out of this show and stopped for a while when Christmas festivities came around. Picked up on it when my sister left, and let me just tell you, that season finale is just, CRUEL! Friggin' hate cliffhangers. Are you team Rafael or team Michael? I'm obviously team Rafael because duh! Not that anyone's asking teeehee. P.s, Rogelio is gonna crack you up!

Reign: The year is 1557, Mary Queen of Scots heads to France to wed Francis II who she's engaged to ever since she was six years old. I love historical TV shows and this does not disappoint. I actually started watching this when it first came out, around two years ago, but stopped because I wasn't sure if I liked Francis or Bash. I'm still in season 1, but I seriously can't wait for season 3 (the current one), because there's Elizabeth I!!!! Obviously at that period of time Henry VIII already died, but I just wish he made an appearance. Or something. Again, are you team Francis or Bash?

Legends of Tomorrow: Not gonna ramble on about this, because I don't have much to say. Still quite confused if I like this show or not, but so far, it's been great. I love the concept of the gang going back in time and all that. Cause you know, I would totally do that if time traveling was real. Can they please head back to the 1800's or 1500's maybe? I'm obsessed with that era! Oh, and am I the only one shipping Captain Cold and White Canary? Hmm. We'll see what'll happen!

Movies:

Ip Man 3: Not something that I usually watch to be honest. My parents watched the first two movies on DVD, so I followed through. Aside from this, I don't watch any Chinese movies. But you should definitely give this a try. I don't like Kung Fu either, but this was beyond awesome. And sad too. 

The 5th Wave: I wasn't interested at all by this movie because it's about aliens and you know all that shiz. At first I told myself that I was watching this just because I liked Chloe Moretz and well, the guys were hot. I was so wrong. The movie was so much more enjoyable than Hunger Games in my opinion. Chloe's acting was phenomenal, and well Nick Robinson and Alex Roe captured my heart, just like I thought they would. Thing is, why is there always a love triangle in dystopian movies/books?! Frustrates me!

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip: This was, hilarious! Everyone else in the theater was laughing, but I was laughing out loud, alright?! Quite embarrassed that I laughed so loud, but you know, YOLO. Oh, and I'm obsessed with Theodore. He's just, the cutest!  

Songs: 

Deep in the Meadow (Baauer Remix): Crazy good. I was reading Unravel Me and put on a playlist on Spotify and came across this. I had to pause my reading and see what the title of the song was and jammed to it all day long the next day. Until now, I still haven't gotten around to watch Mockinjay Pt. 2, but isn't this song the song she sang in the first movie? Or am I wrong.... 

Often (Kygo remix): My sister was at a Kygo gig and she posted a clip of him playing this remix and I just fell in love with this tune. It's one of those songs that relaxes you and makes you want to dance all night long at the same time. Lyrics aside, I absolutely love the vibe of this song! 

25 by Adele: Late to the game, but hey, better late than never right? They annoyingly didn't sell the album here in Jakarta, so I grabbed a copy while I was in Singapore. Just a warning though; listening to her songs makes you feel nostalgic and just a tad bit sad. (Favorites: When We Were Young, Hello, Remedy, Love in the Dark). 

Books:

Unravel Me by Tahereh Mafi: Read my review here

Ignite Me by Tahereh Mafi: The final book of the series. I'm halfway through the book and it's even better than the second one! I'll be doing a post about this as soon as I finish reading it.

Food: 


Koi Bubble Tea: I first discovered this bubble tea shop whilst I was in Singapore a couple years back. Drank it twice when I was there last December, and I'm happy to say that they finally opened up a song here in Indonesia. Although the mall it's located in is one hour away from where I live, the trip was oh so worth it. Drank it with my cousins and we all just had a blast spending time together before my sister and cousin left for the US.


Lunch at Sushi Sei: A couple of days ago, before watching Macbeth (which I did not enjoy and understand), my best friend and I headed to this slightly expensive Japanese restaurant that has one of the best chicken teriyaki here in Jakarta. I've tried a whole lot of chicken teriyakis, and I can say that this is one of the best. Half of the people who ate there was real Japanese people, so it's a guarantee that the restaurant has great food!

Dreamy
St. Marc Cafe: Who can say no to dessert? Okay, okay, I lied. I'm not usually a dessert type of gal, but I did not say to this. After eating popcorn and drinking some cola, I felt like a dessert will fill up my stomach a bit more. I'm not really sure what the name of it was, but I'm pretty sure I ordered the Little Fuji. The vanilla ice creams is you know, vanilla, but the bread... Oh! The bread tasted amazing. So sweet and crunchy.


Llao Llao: Okay, I first hated the taste of this frozen yogurt when I tried it last December. Tried it again with my cousin and fell in love with it, gah! Turns out why I didn't like it at the first place was because I chose the wrong topping. Now, I choose Oreo as my topping and it changed my life (well, not really). For a frozen yogurt though, it is quite expensive but I understand why people were raving about this.

What about you guys? What were your favorite things in January? :)

Much love, Ashley xx

                                           INSTAGRAM / TWITTER / BLOGLOVIN










Comments

  1. Great post, thanks for sharing. I love the photos too. Some of them did make me really hungry though haha

    TFM BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been also obsessed with Adele, Kygo & bubble tea since January!
    Loved reading this post xx

    Kaylee | JK's Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're amazing, aren't they?! Seriously wishing for a bubble tea right now. Thank you so much, Julia!! x

      Delete
  3. It's shocking that I haven't watched Ip Man 2 yet, need to do some major catching up so I can watch the newest one. Looks like this was a good Jan, all things considered!

    xo, Alice || a l i c e / T Y P E N U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this post and the imagery is so good x http://theworldofmegansmith.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
  4. i hope you start feeling better! Thanks for all the suggestions!! Thanks for sharing, hope you had a great weekend! Loves!
    XO JNESS
    jenessasheffield

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenessa!!! Hahahah you're welcome :) you have a great weekend too!

      Delete
  5. Your January was more interesting than mine :) All I did was working, working and working... boring right? Alvin and chipmunks movies are always funny, and makes me laugh. I can't wait to watch it. 25 has been my favourite album for a few months now, Adele is gorgeous! I am craving for ice cream now :(

    www.elabellaworld.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if your work is your passion, it'd be less painful, I presume! Hhaahah yeah. Adele's album is always making me feel as if I'm in a music video or something :P

      Delete
  6. very nice photos <3

    xo,

    www.sahara-desert.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jane the Virgin, isn't it hilarious? The characters are all so perfect in their own ways! Lovely list :)
    xo Kiki
    http://colormekiki.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's super duper HILARIOUS! I swear, every single episode has me cracking up hahaha. Thank you! x

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness, that dessert looks incredible!! I can only imagine how good it must have been! <3

    BlondieInTheCity.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were delicious!!! Seriously wishing I had a cup of that frozen yogurt right now haha x

      Delete
  9. Hearing from people who don't watch chinese movie or kung fu now I want to watch hahah. My boyfriend he's Chinese so he force me to watch it but I give so many excuse! lol

    hafizahrosni.blogspot.my

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try! You'll understand why people said it was a great movie :)

      Delete
  10. jane the virgin is so funny! i thought it was crap before watching it, but now i am addicted!! (#teamrafa always!!)

    xx from Brighton
    Cate ღ kate/idoscope | youtube

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that it was crap too! But when people started raving about it, I just had to give it a try! Hahaha <3 loooove Rafael to death x

      Delete
  11. I just watched the 5th wave! I love Nick robinson so much haha!

    danielpoonvignez.blogspot.hk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an amazing movie! I love his acting so much, plus he's good to look at too haha

      Delete
  12. I can relate so much, january is pretty ok for me too. Thanks for sharing this was nice to read:) Do you want to support each others blog by following each other? Please let me know so I can follow you right back:)

    xoxo
    www.theclosetelf.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it wasn't as spectacular as most other people said it would be. Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Omg koi boba? What is that? I've never seen brown boba before, only black. What flavor was it?

    xx
    atsunamatsui.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I think in Koi it's just their regular bubble milk tea. The brown bobba is much sweeter than the black ones!

      Delete
  14. Amazing pictures!!! your Deserts looks So Delicious!! Hope you will have great time in February.
    Best wishes
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maggie!!! Hope you have a great February as well x

      Delete
  15. Your January didn't seem blah to me! Love this roundup, girl. PS: Obsessed with the last froyo pic ;)

    xx www.qustomquinns.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, but it was :( the bad thing happened inside my head is all.. I KNOW, I can't wait for Sunday so I can buy my cup of froyo! Hehehe x

      Delete
  16. Looks great! Nice post dear

    Xx,

    || FLOORTJELOVES ||

    www.floortjeloves.com
    www.facebook.com/floortjeloves

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just started reading #Girlboss and already loving it. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard so many great things about it! Thanks for the recommendation :) x

      Delete
  18. I have also been watching Reign, QM is so beautiful x

    http://thelondonthing.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughh, I know right! I friggin' love their costumes <3

      Delete
  19. Wow, the St.Marc cafe dessert looks absolutely astounding! Yum.
    xo
    N
    Style Tomes || Style Tomes on Instagram

    ReplyDelete
  20. Uh I also got hooked on Jane the Virgin last year, its so cute. Reign is on my list of TV-shows to watch as well. Seems really good :) x

    - LS
    http://www.sephira.dk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yesss, super cute! Gonna wait for the 2nd season to be available on Netflix!

      Delete
  21. Everything looks so yummy!

    http://www.aimeroseblog.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful spell caster that has brought back happiness to my life, I got married to Jefferson and we loved and cherish ourselves so much, he needs a divorce This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experience!!!! i have never see a great man like Dr happy,indeed he is a powerful man, just last year July i saw some testimony comment on a site people testifying on how they got back their ex with the help of Dr happy,i was amaze to see a great man like this in the world, i was having similar problem with my partner, so we had a little misunderstand that lid to our breakup them so because of that i was very sad and i was thinking of what to do to get him back in my life, a great ideal came into my mind, so i contacted the great Dr and i told him everything that happen he just laugh and said to me that i should not worry that everything will be okay, i believed him because of what on the internet, so today am here testifying of the great happiness he just grant in my life i now have him back forever, thank you very much sir, i really appreciate,your work you have the best spell caster i have ever see on the internet that can really bring loss relationship so my friends out there if you have any problem contact Dr happy for help, he is able to help you in any situation, here is the email happylovespell2@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts