Book Boyfriend #???: Mr. Darcy


Adding yet another book boyfriend to my never ending list. I've lost count now! Hehehe. 

It is a truth universally acknowledged that when a young lady finds herself cooped up inside her room, bored out of her mind, picking up a book is the only choice to be made. And that is exactly what happened when I decided to read the highly known book Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. To think of her writing this novel filled with such beautiful words is mind blowing to me. And unbeknownst to her, this novel would be one of the greatest books ever published in the English language. You could say I admire her very deeply, and is one of my inspiration both in life and writing.

Bear in mind, I was never into literature books before. It all changed after I watched Becoming Jane and then Pride and Prejudice. There's just nothing better than being curled up in bed, reading a book that was written oh so beautifully over three centuries ago. Every few pages, I had to bring out my dictionary because of some (most) of the words I was not familiar with, which I find quite vexing. But in the end, it worked out, cause I got to learn new vocabularies that by the way is rarely ever used in our era! Yay.

The plot itself is wonderful. Oh and the characters! She did a great job on creating a whole lot of characters that I completely fell in love with and would consider them as family (if that was possible) by the end of the book. But the main thing about this book that I really loved and looked forward to was of course, the love between Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth herself. Jane originally gave this novel the title "First Impressions" which was a good one, but the more I thought about it, the more thankful I am that she changed the title in the end. And I think to find out the meaning behind the title, you'll have to figure out by yourself. Because after I finished reading this, I spent all night thinking of how the title relate to the novel and ta-da I did (at 2 AM, if I'm not mistaken).

Until now, I can't comprehend how amazing it is that she was able to create such a beautiful story filled with loveable and hilarious characters at such a young age and in the late 1700's too! Also, can we just give her a big standing ovation for creating Elizabeth Bennett who is such a strong female character, when clearly,  in that era women were not much appreciated for their thoughts and ideas. Feminism at its best in the 18th century, I must say.

Now don't get me started on Mr. Darcy. What can I say about him? When I watched Bridget Jones's Diary, Colin Firth played the part of Mark Darcy (inspired by Mr. Darcy, obvs), and I just knew I would love the real Mr. Darcy that Miss Austen created. Not gonna lie, at first I wasn't so sure if I loved Mr. Darcy, but then again that's the moral of the story innit? First impressions aren't always accurate and that's definitely what happened to both Lizzie and I with Darcy. I've learned both from personal experience and Miss Austen that first impressions aren't always everything, and don't be haste on criticizing someone's personality/character from based on first impressions. Get to know them a little better, and you'll see them in a different light.

The point of this whole post is, get a copy of this book. Whether you like it or not, this is one of the many books that exist in the world that you must read at least once in your life. And if you fancy Austen's writing, then give her other books a read as I am now! I guarantee that you will fall in love with Mr. Darcy as I did and have a laugh on your own about Mr. Collins!

OVERALL RATING: ✮✮✮✮ / 5.

Some of my favorite quotes...
  • "A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."
  • "There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer whom I think well. The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense."
  • "I cannot fit on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun." (OH MR. DARCY!! <3)
  • "Vanity and pride are different things, thought the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have other think of us."
  • "There is a stubbornness about me that can never bear to be frightened at the will of others. My courage always rises at every attempt to intimidate me."
  • "To be fond of dancing was a certain step towards falling in love."
  • "We are all fools in love."
  • "Oh Lizzy! Do anything rather than marry without affection."
  • "They were confined at different tables, and she had nothing to hope, but that his eyes were so often turned towards her side of the room, as to make him play as unsuccessfully as herself."
  • "Adieu to disappointment and spleen. What are men to rocks and mountains?"
Much love, Ashley xx

                                           INSTAGRAM / TWITTER / BLOGLOVIN 









Comments

  1. I'm ashamed to say I've never actually read Pride and Prejudice...I should really get on to that.

    I also love the term 'book boyfriend,' though for me it's not so much with books as it is TV and movies. By now I have so many different TV boyfriends.

    www.thesundaymode.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't worry! Before reading it, I was so sure that I wouldn't ever read or liked it. But hey, people change, and I love it! Hahaha, I have TONS of book boyfriends it's actually embarrassing. Nothing wrong with TV boyfriends too! I seem to fall for more fictional characters than actual real life people. :P

      Delete
  2. I've been wanting to read Pride and Prejudice for aggges, I really need to go and get myself a copy! I totally get what you mean by 'book boyfriend', a book lets you find out a characters personality yourself and I literally just fall in love with the character in the end!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/ (currently running a sunglasses and eyeglasses giveaway)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should! Hahaha, I find it odd that I connect way more to my "book boyfriends" than guys my age these days!

      Delete
  3. great post thanks for sharing!!!
    xx,
    http://evelyn-halim.blogspot.co.id

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read the book, I have to give it a read at some point. I love reading the classics. Room With A View is one of my personal favourites.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a read sometime in the future! Oh, I've heard so much about that book. Gonna give it a look! Thanks for the recommendation. :D

      Delete
  5. I like reading your articles, they're cool! Xo, Sophia from

    ReplyDelete
  6. like those quote! x

    jess x | wellwellgirls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such well written and it inspired me so much to go and read Pride and Prejudice! Love the quotes which you picked out from the book! <3
    Chlariss | www.silentdancesandglasses.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's nice of you to say! I love the quotes so much. x

      Delete
  8. Love this post, especially that tea set up :) looks perfect.

    xx. The Coastal Confidence
    http://the-coastalconfidence.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite being on a classic binge read right now, I haven't gotten around to read Pride & Prejudice yet! But I have watched a couple of P&P adaptations. And Mr. Darcy has always stolen my heart in any media haha <3

    xx Bash |   go say   H E Y   B A S H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go and read it! Ehmagard, I watched the P&P adaption, the one with Keira Knightley and swooned the whole way through! I've heard that the 1995 version one with Colin Firth is a great un', should get around to that too!

      Delete
  10. Such a nice post dear! :) I already heard about that book but haven't read it yet :)

    mystylishcorner.blogspot.ba

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha I love this so much Ash! I can definitely relate to having fictional boyfriends, real guys are so inferior. Mr Darcy is the dream tho <3
    britishmermaid.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cara! Right?! Just stick to fictional boyfriends and we'll all be fine. He sure is! <3

      Delete
  12. I've never read this book, how is that possible?
    http://silkypearl.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Pride and Prejudice and I also love the film as well. One of the most beautifully shot films in my opinion! Have you ever been to Bath Spa in the UK? The home of Jane Austin. You can see where she gets all her inspiration, such an amazing place!

    Sally - DiagonSally

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thinking of re-reading it again, hahaha. Yeah, and I'm obsessed with the score as well. Not yet, but I'm planning to go this summer, I think! I've heard about that Jane Austen place and I can't wait to visit it if I'm going there. :)

      Delete
  14. greawt photos :)
    please follow my blog : YOUNG BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post, Pride and Prejudice is a fantaxtic read. XXX
    www.sopherina.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes it is, so happy that I actually picked a copy hahaha!

      Delete
  16. Love this post!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath
    http://mllecoconath.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great post! Love it!
    Xoxo,
    Love from www.trangscorner.com {a lifestyle, fashion, beauty, and food blog}

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you're totally right, I love this book and Elizabeth is such a strong female character. If you haven't watched the BBC series you really should because that really does the book justice. Fab review!

    Rags Of Love - Alternative Fashion and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her to bits. Inspiration for a lot of women! Gonna give it a watch sometime in the future, thanks for the recommendation! Thanks lovely. xx

      Delete
  19. Interesting blog. I love your content, very original. Thanks for sharing and check us out to learn how to get XTRActive.

    Eye See Euphoria | http://blog.eyeseeeuphoria.com/2016/04/11/lets-get-xtractive/

    ReplyDelete
  20. i sigh just thinking about reading this for the first time in high school...good stuff! x http://www.the-beautiful-things.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My school didn't do this for lit class and I'm so bummed that they didn't! Ya isn't it?! Very great read indeed. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts